As Reviewed on Stay At Home Mum
Emu Oil is natural and hypoallergenic so it is great for children’s and babies’ delicate skin. If your child has problem skin Emu Oil is ideal and may help with any inflammation. Studies have shown that emu oil has great moisturizing and skin penetration properties (1) but it is the anti-inflammatory properties of emu oil that are of most interest to people with problem skin. Previous studies have demonstrated the anti-inflammatory effects of emu oil on a variety of ailments (2 - 4) and specifically its effectiveness at reducing inflammation of the skin (5).
Skin conditions such as nappy rash, cradle cap and eczema are all associated with inflammation of the skin. The anti-inflammatory properties of emu oil may help fight these conditions while the moisturizing properties may provide relief from the symptoms. The skin healing properties of emu oil have also been demonstrated in studies on wound healing (6) and burns caused by both hot water and fire (3) all of which showed that these different types of damage to the skin were markedly improved by treatment with emu oil.
1. Zemstov,A et al. Australasian Journal of Dermatology, 37: 159-162, (1996).
2. Snowden, JM and Whitehouse MW. Inflammopharmacology, 5: 127-132, (1997).
3. Lagniel, C and Torres, AM. Burns, 33, S1: 48A (2007).
4. Lindsay, RJ et al. British Journal of Nutrition, 104: 513-519, (2010).
5. Lopez, A et al. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 60, 12: 1558-1561, (1999).
6. Politis, MJ and Dmyrowich, A. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 102: 2404-2407